Does your bedroom need a makeover, but you’re not sure where to begin? Follow these simple steps and you’ll be on your way to planning the room of your dreams!
Set up a budget: Before you begin creating your dream bedroom, it’s important to create a budget you can afford. Set a reasonable amount so you don’t break the bank. This will help you prioritize essential items from non-essential items and keep you from spending too much money.
Measure floor space and dimensions: In order to add furniture, carpet and accessories to your bedroom, you need to have accurate measurements of the room. Know the perimeter and area of the bedroom so you can organize your room without feeling too crowded.
Determine the theme: Do you want your room to reflect the overall theme of your house or have its own unique style? If the theme is similar to your house you will want to have complementary color schemes. If you want the room to have your own personal touch, then you can get creative and experiment to develop your own customized theme.
- Keep a log of inspirational prints and colors: Once you select the theme of your bedroom, begin looking at different color schemes to select the perfect one. Take your time and choose a color that will promote sleep and make you feel restful. Cool colors such as blue and green are popular bedroom colors and make your room feel comfortable. Create a digital scrapbook of your favorite options to help you determine the prints and colors that make you feel the most relaxed.
- Adding accents with accessories: Who said having a white bedroom was boring? To brighten a room, you can add a splash of color with accessories such as bedding, pillows, lamps and mirrors. Accents work best with white or beige walls and can conveniently customize your room.
Keep these tips in mind and you’ll soon be sleeping comfortably in the bedroom of your dreams!
Do you have a loved one keeping you awake all night because of their disruptive snoring? Or are you the one keeping others awake?
Here are six tips to reduce snoring for a better night’s sleep.
- Sleep on your side- Sleeping on your side is one of the best methods to combat snoring. Rather than lying on your back, sleeping on your side significantly reduces snoring. Reposition yourself comfortably and elevate your head with an extra pillow. This will improve air passage and allow you to breathe easily for a quiet sleep.
- Change pillows- When was the last time you changed your pillows? Allergens and dust mites accumulate in pillows over time and increase your chances of snoring. By simply changing your pillows you can quickly get rid of your snoring and sleep peacefully on a fresh, clean surface.
- Exercise – Chances are if you are overweight, you are more likely to snore. Fatty tissue can build up around your neck and narrow your airway, causing you to snore loudly. By exercising daily you can reduce snoring and lose weight for a healthier lifestyle.
- Clear your nasal passages- Falling asleep with blocked sinuses and a stuffy nose will not only be uncomfortable, but will force you to breathe through your mouth and increase your snoring. By taking a decongestant you can alleviate cold symptoms and breathe easily throughout the night.
- Avoid alcohol and sleeping pills- Drinking alcohol and taking sedatives relax the muscles of your throat and jaw, resulting in an increase in snoring. Eliminate these from your diet and you will be able to effectively reduce your snoring.
- Quit smoking- Individuals who smoke have a greater chance of snoring. Smoking irritates your nose and throat and blocks your airways, significantly affecting your sleep. By quitting you will not only reduce your snoring, but improve your overall lifestyle as well.
Keep in mind, these tips may not be effective for everyone. If your snoring has become severe and these natural methods do not effectively reduce your snoring, then you may wish to consult a healthcare professional as it could be the sign of a more significant health issue.
Do you have any tips to reduce or “cure” snoring? Share in the comments below.
Your bedroom is designed to be the most comfortable place in your home — somewhere for you to relax and settle down after a long, tiring day. In order for your bedroom to be a haven for rejuvenation, you should have an appropriate color scheme to set the mood.
The color scheme in your bedroom can transform the look and feel of your room and have a tremendous effect on improving your sleep.
It’s important to consider the various tone and shade of colors, because different colors produce different effects. You want to be sure the color you choose can improve your sleep and relaxation and avoid sleep anxiety and restlessness.
When choosing a color scheme consider the following:
Cool Colors: Cool colors are the best colors to create a relaxing, calm bedroom. The colors blue, violet and green make the atmosphere in your bedroom soothing. With blue resembling the sky and ocean and green resembling nature, these colors provide balance and serenity for a restful sleep. Cool colors promote a tranquil mood and are common bedroom colors.
Neutral Colors: Neutral colors are a safe choice for your bedroom. Beige, ivory, white and taupe provide less stimulation, giving your room a sense of peace. These neutral colors are simple and work well with bedroom furniture and decorations to create a comfortable living space.
Pastels: Pastel colors provide your bedroom with a calm, delicate feeling. With colors like lavender, powder blue, light pink and pale yellow, these soft shades provide a relaxing, serene atmosphere for your bedroom.
Bright Colors: Though fun and positive, bright colors are generally not recommended for your bedroom. Colors like red, orange and yellow are natural energy boosters. The boldness stimulates senses and becomes too overwhelming when trying to relax and go to sleep. Unless used in a light shade, it’s best to avoid these vibrant colors.
Remember, your bedroom should be a comfortable place to unwind and sleep, so choose a color scheme that helps you do so.
We all know that sleep and exercise are needed for a healthy lifestyle, but did you know that the more exercise you get, the better you sleep?
The National Sleep Foundation 2013 Poll found a significant correlation between exercise and sleep, highlighting that those who exercise more often have a better sleep than those who don’t work out. Other findings included:
Vigorous exercisers have the best sleep at night and are least likely to report sleep problems.
Less time sitting is associated with better sleep and health.
Exercise at any time of day appears to be good for sleep.
Non-exercisers are the sleepiest and have the highest risk for sleep apnea.
In order to get the best night’s sleep and improve your overall health, Serta challenges you to join the movement and have a fit 2013.
Take the Serta Fitness Challenge Pledge and make a commitment to improve your health.
I pledge to lead a healthier lifestyle by increasing my daily physical activity and getting a good night’s sleep.
I will challenge myself with vigorous to moderate exercise and experiment with new activities.
I will spend less time sitting and take short walks when I am not exercising.
No matter how many obstacles I face, I will continue to work diligently on my journey to improve my health and fitness.
Sign up for the pledge and one lucky winner will receive a Serta Perfect Sleeper Whitley’s Bluff mattress set (size and comfort of winners choice) and a $500 Serta Fitness Gift Pack!
Are you having trouble sleeping and you’re not sure why? Take a good look around your bedroom. Are there clothes spread out on the floor? Are books and magazines piled up? Do you have electronics and wires scattered all over the ground?
If so, you may have found the reason. A messy bedroom can have a negative impact on your sleep.
Here are a few tips to clean the clutter and create a relaxing environment in the bedroom for a more restful night:
- Clear the floor: The first thing you want to do is to make sure you can see your bedroom floor. Pick up any clothes or unnecessary items that are on the ground and put them where they belong. You will be amazed by how much floor space you have once you put items in their proper location.
- Store items: If you have multiple items and not a lot of space, think outside the box to create storage space. One of the most convenient places to store items is under your bed. But don’t just haphazardly shove things underneath when you can pack them neatly in under-the-bed storage containers. These containers come in a range of sizes and can be used for multiple purposes, including storing seasonal clothes. Rather than hiding items in the back of your closet, you can store them under your bed and free up closet space.
- Organize your closet: If your closet looks like a nightmare, this can affect your entire room. Go through your closet and pull out everything you haven’t worn in the last year. If you haven’t worn it, you most likely won’t wear it again. Hang “like” items together in your closet- have a section for shirts, pants, dresses, etc. This will be easier for when you are hanging up clothes and putting material away. If you know where things go, you won’t have to leave it lying around your room.
- Keep essentials nearby: Decide what you need nearby and what can be hidden away in containers. If you don’t need something at your fingertips, then it can be stored away. Otherwise, invest in a nightstand with drawers and shelves. This will allow you to access important items conveniently, without creating a messy pile next to your bed.
- Remove electronics: Computers and tablets are known to be a major distraction when trying to get to sleep, but they also take up a significant amount of space. The tangled wires and extra outlets can be spread out across the room, adding to your unwanted mess. Remove these electronics from your bedroom entirely and place them in another room where you can conveniently access them.
- Keep your mattress neat and clean: No one wants to sleep in a messy bed. Clean your sheets and bedspread regularly, or if you have been sleeping in old material, invest in brand new sheets. With these fresh sheets, get in the habit of making your bed every morning, and your room will instantly look and feel more relaxing. Using a mattress pad or protective cover can also help prolong the life of your mattress.
Follow these tips and your bedroom will feel open and peaceful – a perfect environment for a better night’s sleep.
Getting a great night’s sleep can help improve your health, happiness and productivity. If you’re tired of being tired, it’s time to put down the energy drinks and take charge of your sleep routine.
Did you know? According to reports from the National Sleep Foundation:
•Everyone should be concerned about the quantity and quality of their sleep. Studies indicate that a lack of sleep may be linked to obesity, diabetes and hypertension.
•People who are sleep deprived report being more irritable, short-tempered, and less able to manage stress.
•Insufficient sleep can lead to daytime fatigue, poor concentration, and an increased risk of mistakes and accidents. Research from the National Sleep Foundation reveals that one in ten Americans are likely to fall asleep at an inappropriate time and place, such as during a meeting or while driving.
To help one of our readers stop counting sheep and start getting a better night’s sleep this year, we are giving away a deluxe sleep package (open to residents 18 of age and older and living in the contiguous United States, see contest rules) which includes a choice between three Serta® mattress sets (Serta Perfect Sleeper®, iComfort® or iSeries™) and a Serta Gel-Memory Foam 2-in-1 Scrunch Pillow (combined MSRP up to $5,000).
Read on to learn how you can enter for a chance to win.
To enter this giveaway you must be 18 years of age and live in the contiguous United States (excludes Alaska and Hawaii). No purchase necessary. Maximum of 4 entries per person. The giveaway will run from January 23, 2013 until midnight February 6, 2013. The winner will be chosen from Random.org and will be notified the week of February 10, 2013.
Enter to Win:
1. Leave a comment below that tells us why you need a great night’s sleep in 2013.
For Extra Entries:
2. “Like” us on Facebook, then come back here and post a comment below stating that you have done so.
3. Follow us on Twitter, then come back here and post a comment below stating that you have done so.
4. Follow us on Pinterest, then come back here and post a comment below stating that you have done so.
Good luck (and best wishes for a great night’s sleep)!
Many Americans will set their clocks back one hour on Nov. 4th, 2012 and gain an extra hour for the day. Serta surveyed over 1,000 Americans to gauge how national time changes impact their sleep and schedules, and the results were quite telling!
We found that most Americans don’t find either the Spring Forward or Fall Back time changes to have an impact on the quality of their sleep. Even so, about 20% of Americans reported waking up feeling not well rested* – meaning that poor sleep is the norm for them. So, Fall Back or Spring Forward, Americans still need better sleep!
That got us thinking about the gift of a whole extra hour on Nov. 4th. We are, by our own nature, a time-pressed and sleep-deprived society. So, an extra hour – even if just for one day of the year – should be valued and used wisely. And, what better way to use this extra hour than for some much needed self-pampering to reduce stress and promote better sleep for one night?
Here are some suggestions on getting the most out of the extra hour for those setting the clocks back on Nov. 4th:
- Schedule a one-hour massage
- Take a yoga class with a friend
- Have kids? Organize a family breakfast and give everyone a task so that you can relax and enjoy.
- Start reading that book that’s been sitting on your nightstand for months
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while
- If it’s not too cold at home, fire up the grill and sit outside sipping hot cider with family and friends, with a commitment to keep the cell phones off.
Even just one hour of down time each day can help reduce the daily stress that can impact your sleep quality. So, use the upcoming time change to show yourself the difference that one hour can make in how you live and how you sleep. We have a feeling that doing it for one day will make you want to do it more often!
Having trouble sleeping? Check out our new Sleep Tips video with easy ways to update your bedroom to promote better sleep.
*Survey results are from telephone omnibus surveys of nationally representative Americans conducted by Braun Research the days following the two time changes around Daylight Savings Time in 2011.
The beautiful and bright autumn season is here! While there are many things to enjoy during the fall, the change of seasons can impact your quality of sleep and leave you feeling groggy during the day. Get the most out of the fall days with these helpful tips to adjust your sleep to the new season.
Shorter Days, Longer Nights
Once the season changes, do you ever find yourself feeling ready for bed hours before your usual bedtime? As we approach winter and the days gradually get shorter, it’s easy for your body clock to get confused when the sun goes down. You may have been hitting the hay regularly at 9pm over the summer, but now it’s just as dark at 7:30pm. Before you consider giving in and going to bed earlier, consider shifting your daily routine so you stick to your typical sleep/wake schedule. If you feel yourself getting sleepy after dinner, grab your fall jacket and your dog and take a nice walk. Stick to your normal bedtime routines and before you know it, you can help your body clock adjust and stay on track.
Goodbye, Air Conditioning!
Switching off the air conditioning and cracking open the bedroom window is one of the simple pleasures of fall. (Not to mention the wonders it does for lowering energy bills!) This means you may be switching from your lighter summer linens to your heavier fall blankets for sleep. Be aware of your body temperature during sleep and pick the right top of bed items for the fall. Using a blanket that’s very warm and heavy may feel great while your are falling asleep, but can cause you to get too hot overnight. Look for items that help keep you comfortable without disrupting your sleep.
Comfort Food Overload
What tastes better on a crisp fall night than a big plate of old fashioned comfort food? It’s easy to fill up on warm, rich food this time of the year. But, it’s very important to eat these types of food in moderation and not within two hours of your regular bedtime. Your eating patterns impact how you sleep, so maintain a balanced diet and resist the temptation to indulge after hours. Your body will thank you in the morning.
Consider Your Mattress
Are you doing all of the right things when it comes to your bedtime ritual, but still not sleeping well? Don’t forget to check your mattress, which is the centerpiece of your sleep every night. If it’s been 7 or more years since you’ve purchased a new mattress, or if you are tossing and turning or experiencing back pain, it may be time for a new mattress. Plus, upgrading to a new mattress will help you stick to your routine since you won’t be able to wait to jump in and get cozy on fall nights! Visit Serta online to learn more about available mattresses and to get helpful mattress shopping tips.
Have you ever stayed at a high-quality hotel and slept a million times better than you ever have at home? Sure, the fancy linens and super comfy pillows help, but for many it’s the hotel mattress that does the trick.
We hear from customers here at Serta every day that fall in love with the Serta hotel mattress they recently slept on while traveling. Many tell us that it was the hotel experience that prompted them to consider replacing an old, worn out mattress. (After all, there is no better way to test a new mattress than to actually sleep on it!) Others tell us that the hotel mattress was simply more comfortable than what they had at home. So….what is it about these hotel mattresses that makes them so comfortable?
Made Exclusively for our Fine Hotel Partners: Serta’s hotel mattresses are designed specifically for our hotel partners, using a combination of features that we use exclusively for this program.
Advanced Comfort and Support Features: Our hotel partners want their guests to experience a great night’s sleep. That’s why every Serta hotel mattresses uses advanced comfort and support features such as Serta’s KoolComfort Memory Foam and our Continuous Support innerspring.
Built to Last: Like all Serta products, our hotel mattresses are built to stand the test of time, for years of lasting comfort and support.
Double-Sided: The unique double-sided construction allows for an easy flip rotation and increased sleep surface.
Now, you can bring the hotel experience home with Serta’s new Boutique Suite hotel mattress collection, available exclusively to purchase online. These mattresses are built to the same specifications used for our hotel partners. Shop the collection by clicking here.
So, you finally traded in that old, lumpy mattress for a new one and you are counting down the days until it’s delivered and set up in your home. Congratulations – you have taken a very important first step towards improving the quality of your sleep!
Your new mattress will soon become the most important piece of furniture in your home. After all, it’s where you will spend 1/3 of your life. Check out our short list of “What to Expect” when you bring home a new mattress:
Expect to adjust to a new level of comfort & support. You loved the way your new mattress felt when you tested it in the showroom, right? Keep in mind that laying on a mattress for several minutes in a store is a completely different experience than sleeping on it for an entire night. So, remember to give your body several nights to adjust to a new level of comfort and support that comes from sleeping on a new mattress for 7-8 hours at night. (Especially if you were sleeping on that old, lumpy mattress you just traded in for many years!)
Expect to care for your mattress & protect your investment. You spent your hard-earned money on your new mattress and you should prepare to take care of it properly so you can sleep on it for years to come. Always use a frame and proper center support with a new Queen or King size mattress; this is important for your mattress warranty and will prevent sagging. Plus, always use a water resistant mattress protector to keep your mattress clean and free from stains. Take good care of your new mattress, and it will take good care of you!
Expect to read & understand the warranty. All Serta mattresses are backed by our limited warranty to protect you from manufacturing defects. It’s always a good idea to read and understand the warranty policy on your new mattress right away. (You can download copies of our warranty brochures HERE). Plus, you should also know your retailer’s policies when it comes to comfort exchanges. For example, many Serta retailers offer a 120 Day In-Home trial on iComfort mattress purchases, allowing you to try a new iComfort mattress at home for up to 120 Days!
Tip: Your Pet Needs a Serta, Too. We love our pets, but they can wreak havoc on a new mattress. So, why not get your furry friend his or her very own Serta Pet Bed? These “mini” Serta mattresses are designed to keep your pet comfortable – so you can stretch out and stay comfortable on your “human” mattress!