So, you finally traded in that old, lumpy mattress for a new one and you are counting down the days until it’s delivered and set up in your home. Congratulations – you have taken a very important first step towards improving the quality of your sleep!
Your new mattress will soon become the most important piece of furniture in your home. After all, it’s where you will spend 1/3 of your life. Check out our short list of “What to Expect” when you bring home a new mattress:
Expect to adjust to a new level of comfort & support. You loved the way your new mattress felt when you tested it in the showroom, right? Keep in mind that laying on a mattress for several minutes in a store is a completely different experience than sleeping on it for an entire night. So, remember to give your body several nights to adjust to a new level of comfort and support that comes from sleeping on a new mattress for 7-8 hours at night. (Especially if you were sleeping on that old, lumpy mattress you just traded in for many years!)
Expect to care for your mattress & protect your investment. You spent your hard-earned money on your new mattress and you should prepare to take care of it properly so you can sleep on it for years to come. Always use a frame and proper center support with a new Queen or King size mattress; this is important for your mattress warranty and will prevent sagging. Plus, always use a water resistant mattress protector to keep your mattress clean and free from stains. Take good care of your new mattress, and it will take good care of you!
Expect to read & understand the warranty. All Serta mattresses are backed by our limited warranty to protect you from manufacturing defects. It’s always a good idea to read and understand the warranty policy on your new mattress right away. (You can download copies of our warranty brochures HERE). Plus, you should also know your retailer’s policies when it comes to comfort exchanges. For example, many Serta retailers offer a 120 Day In-Home trial on iComfort mattress purchases, allowing you to try a new iComfort mattress at home for up to 120 Days!
Tip: Your Pet Needs a Serta, Too. We love our pets, but they can wreak havoc on a new mattress. So, why not get your furry friend his or her very own Serta Pet Bed? These “mini” Serta mattresses are designed to keep your pet comfortable – so you can stretch out and stay comfortable on your “human” mattress!
Spring is officially here! This is a great time of year because it’s full of so much promise of things to come. More hours of sunlight are inviting us to live a little more each and every day. Warmer air is hinting at the summertime ahead. We are slowly coming out of our “winter comas” and feeling more inspired to clean up and renew our lives.
Now, we all know how important a good night’s sleep is to our overall health and wellbeing. So, why not Spring Up Your Sleep this year, and treat yourself to more restful nights for more energetic days? Here are 5 helpful tips to help you renew your sleep this season:
- Zen Your Bedroom. Keeping your bedroom clean and clutter free will help reset your mind and body when you lay down at night. Take inventory of the items in the room and ask yourself what can be removed to create a more peaceful atmosphere. Have a television in your bedroom? Now is a good time to take a “test run” for one week without the tube in your boudoir and see if you sleep better. Plus, don’t forget to give the entire room a thorough Spring-cleaning, removing all dust build up from the winter.
- Mind the Sheets & Pillows. Your bed’s décor can help set a restful mood when you retreat to your bedroom at night. However, selecting the wrong sheets and pillows can also ruin a good night’s sleep. If it’s been a long time since you’ve upgraded your bedding, now is the time. Soft, breathable sheets and premium, supportive pillows can spruce up the appearance of your bed AND the quality of your sleep.
- Put Down the Wine. Well, at least within the hours before bedtime. Studies show that consuming alcohol in the hours before bedtime can negatively impact quality of sleep. While its affects may calm you and help you fall asleep, alcohol can also cause you to wake up more during the night. This will leave you feeling sleepy, and not to mention pretty cranky, the next day. So, save the wine for happy hour instead.
- Have a Heart-to-Heart with Fluffy. Pet parents often find themselves sharing their bed with their “fur babies”. It can be tough to turn down those puppy dog eyes, but sleep and pet experts alike will tell you this is one bad habit that you need to break. First, letting your pet sleep on your bed blurs the lines of bed “ownership”, and your four-legged friend can quickly become territorial. Second, you deserve more room to stretch while you sleep, and your pet doesn’t understand those boundaries. Why not make everyone happy and buy Fluffy his or her own Serta pet bed, while you sprawl out comfortably on yours?
- Pull Back the Covers and Say Hello….to your Mattress. When is the last time you thought about this big rectangular piece of furniture? You are spending 1/3 of your life on it, so now is a good time to reintroduce yourself and see if its meeting your needs. Are you experiencing any of the following problems with your mattress?
- A valley has developed in the section of the mattress where you sleep
- Sagging across the middle third of the mattress or along the sides makes you roll toward your partner
- The mattress makes creaking noises
- Soft, non-supportive edges are a sign of edge breakdown
- You’re waking up sore or stiff in the morning
- You’ve developed recurring back pain
- Your current mattress is 7-10 or more years old
If you answered “yes” to one of more of the above, it’s probably time to shop for a new mattress. That may not sound like a whole lot of fun, but Serta can make it a little easier for you. Check out our interactive Mattress Selector, where you can answer a short set of questions and we’ll recommend some great Serta mattresses for you.
What are your best tips for improving sleep this spring? Email us at SertaFBHelp@gmail.com and we just may publish your tip on Facebook!