They’re cute, they’re cuddly, they’re fun, and they deserve a great night of sleep too! Here at Serta, we love our pets, and we believe they deserve a great night of sleep. While you may love cuddling with your pet in bed, it can cause problems for you, your pet, and your mattress. Before making the commitment to allow your pet to sleep in your bed, consider these pros and cons.
Sleeping with a pet keeps pets out of trouble and out of other places in your home. However, they can wreak havoc on mattresses. Between the smell, scratching, and shedding fur, our loveable pets aren’t necessarily good for our mattresses. Investing in a pet bed is like investing in the longevity of your mattress.
Cuddling with a pet has been proven to reduce stress and calm your mind. But what may start out as a calm night can quickly turn into a night of bad sleep. A sleeping pet in your bed can disturb your sleep by causing you to wake up or preventing you from getting comfortable. Between taking up too much space, creating extra heat, barking, or the smell, pets need their own place to sleep too!
Some people like their pet in bed for the feeling of security and safety. While it may seem like a good idea when your pet first comes home, it can be hard to prevent later, when the cons become more obvious. Be sure to consider this before you make the commitment of letting them sleep in your bed. Once you make the commitment to allow them in your bed, it may be very difficult to change this behavior.
The proper support is good for pet health! Pets need the right amount of comfort for their joints. Serta pet beds are designed to provide your pet with pressure-relieving comfort and proper support, which is important to keep their joints healthy while promoting better sleep.
Regardless of where you pet sleeps, they still deserve a place to take a snooze and cuddle up! Keep your pets comfortable with their own pet bed!
According to the ASPCA, approximately 5 to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. October is National Pet Wellness month, a time to celebrate pets, learn about pet care, and keep pets healthy. Although National Pet Wellness month takes place only once a year, Serta wants you to remember to always celebrate and properly care for your pets.
Throughout the month of October, we have been celebrating pets with our Pet Bed Contest, offering pet care tips and asking you to share what makes your pet special. But Pet Wellness is more than just for the pets who live in our homes; pet wellness is about taking the time to care for those animals that need to become someone’s pet.
At Serta, we love our animal friends. Part of our company culture is a love of animals, reflected in our pet beds. If you want to open your heart to pets in your community, here are a few ways you can help:
Donate Your Time to an Animal Shelter
Donate your time by playing with the animals, cleaning their kennels, washing blankets, or giving baths. Many workers at local shelters are volunteers and they are always looking for pet-loving volunteers to lend a helping hand.
Contribute with Products
Before dropping off a basket of pet goodies, call to see what items the shelter or organization needs. Commonly items include beds, food, blankets, and toys, but you should also consider items such as garbage bags, laundry detergent, and cleaning products. It’s often the most basic items shelters need the most.
Rescue an Animal!
If you are looking for a new member of your family, check out your local animal shelter or humane society first. You just might find a perfect fit!
For more information on animal charities or to find one in your community visit:
- Humane Society of the United States
- PetSmart Charities
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- PAWS Chicago
- Charity Navigator
They sleep in our beds, sit on our laps, make us laugh, and go on our family vacations, so why not give them the best? This month, as part of Pet Wellness Month, Serta is celebrating pets by giving away one pet bed during each week of October.
National Pet Wellness Month was created to educate pet owners about making certain that pets receive regular check-ups, examinations, and disease prevention. Serta is excited to contribute to pet wellness by making sure pets receive a good night of sleep. After all, that’s what we do best!
The Serta Pet Month Contest will showcase a different pet personality each week in October. One winner each week will get to choose a Serta Pet Bed of their choice, either the Memory Foam Couch Bolster Pet Bed or a Pillow Top Poly Fill Pet Bed for their lucky pet.
Beginning Friday, October 4 at 10AM CST, participants may visit the Serta Facebook page and submit a photo of their pet matching that week’s theme. Here are the weekly themes:
- Week 1: Sweetest Sleeping Pet – Show us your pet cuddling up for a nap or sleeping in their favorite spot
- Week 2: Playful Pet – Send a picture of your pet in action – running, jumping, or leaping
- Week 3: Mischievous Pet – Submit a photo of your pet caught in the act of being sneaky
- Week 4: Pet in Halloween Costume – Whether it’s spooky, funny, or creative, show us your pet dressed up for Halloween
Each week, one lucky winner will be chosen at random to select the pet bed of their choice.
The contest will run from October 4, 2013 through October 31, 2013 exclusively on Serta’s Facebook page, where additional details and Official Rules will be found.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The Serta Pet Month Contest (“Contest”) is sponsored by Serta Inc., 2600 Forbs Avenue, Hoffman Estates, IL60192(“Sponsor”). Contest begins 10/4/13 at 10:00 a.m. CDT and ends 10/31/13 at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and Canada (excluding residents of Quebec), who are the age of majority or older. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible Entries received, the quality of Entries received and the skill of the individual entrants. Approximate retail value of all prizes is $396. For the Official Rules visit http://on.fb.me/1fMlaMu.
So, you finally traded in that old, lumpy mattress for a new one and you are counting down the days until it’s delivered and set up in your home. Congratulations – you have taken a very important first step towards improving the quality of your sleep!
Your new mattress will soon become the most important piece of furniture in your home. After all, it’s where you will spend 1/3 of your life. Check out our short list of “What to Expect” when you bring home a new mattress:
Expect to adjust to a new level of comfort & support. You loved the way your new mattress felt when you tested it in the showroom, right? Keep in mind that laying on a mattress for several minutes in a store is a completely different experience than sleeping on it for an entire night. So, remember to give your body several nights to adjust to a new level of comfort and support that comes from sleeping on a new mattress for 7-8 hours at night. (Especially if you were sleeping on that old, lumpy mattress you just traded in for many years!)
Expect to care for your mattress & protect your investment. You spent your hard-earned money on your new mattress and you should prepare to take care of it properly so you can sleep on it for years to come. Always use a frame and proper center support with a new Queen or King size mattress; this is important for your mattress warranty and will prevent sagging. Plus, always use a water resistant mattress protector to keep your mattress clean and free from stains. Take good care of your new mattress, and it will take good care of you!
Expect to read & understand the warranty. All Serta mattresses are backed by our limited warranty to protect you from manufacturing defects. It’s always a good idea to read and understand the warranty policy on your new mattress right away. (You can download copies of our warranty brochures HERE). Plus, you should also know your retailer’s policies when it comes to comfort exchanges. For example, many Serta retailers offer a 120 Day In-Home trial on iComfort mattress purchases, allowing you to try a new iComfort mattress at home for up to 120 Days!
Tip: Your Pet Needs a Serta, Too. We love our pets, but they can wreak havoc on a new mattress. So, why not get your furry friend his or her very own Serta Pet Bed? These “mini” Serta mattresses are designed to keep your pet comfortable – so you can stretch out and stay comfortable on your “human” mattress!
Spring is officially here! This is a great time of year because it’s full of so much promise of things to come. More hours of sunlight are inviting us to live a little more each and every day. Warmer air is hinting at the summertime ahead. We are slowly coming out of our “winter comas” and feeling more inspired to clean up and renew our lives.
Now, we all know how important a good night’s sleep is to our overall health and wellbeing. So, why not Spring Up Your Sleep this year, and treat yourself to more restful nights for more energetic days? Here are 5 helpful tips to help you renew your sleep this season:
- Zen Your Bedroom. Keeping your bedroom clean and clutter free will help reset your mind and body when you lay down at night. Take inventory of the items in the room and ask yourself what can be removed to create a more peaceful atmosphere. Have a television in your bedroom? Now is a good time to take a “test run” for one week without the tube in your boudoir and see if you sleep better. Plus, don’t forget to give the entire room a thorough Spring-cleaning, removing all dust build up from the winter.
- Mind the Sheets & Pillows. Your bed’s décor can help set a restful mood when you retreat to your bedroom at night. However, selecting the wrong sheets and pillows can also ruin a good night’s sleep. If it’s been a long time since you’ve upgraded your bedding, now is the time. Soft, breathable sheets and premium, supportive pillows can spruce up the appearance of your bed AND the quality of your sleep.
- Put Down the Wine. Well, at least within the hours before bedtime. Studies show that consuming alcohol in the hours before bedtime can negatively impact quality of sleep. While its affects may calm you and help you fall asleep, alcohol can also cause you to wake up more during the night. This will leave you feeling sleepy, and not to mention pretty cranky, the next day. So, save the wine for happy hour instead.
- Have a Heart-to-Heart with Fluffy. Pet parents often find themselves sharing their bed with their “fur babies”. It can be tough to turn down those puppy dog eyes, but sleep and pet experts alike will tell you this is one bad habit that you need to break. First, letting your pet sleep on your bed blurs the lines of bed “ownership”, and your four-legged friend can quickly become territorial. Second, you deserve more room to stretch while you sleep, and your pet doesn’t understand those boundaries. Why not make everyone happy and buy Fluffy his or her own Serta pet bed, while you sprawl out comfortably on yours?
- Pull Back the Covers and Say Hello….to your Mattress. When is the last time you thought about this big rectangular piece of furniture? You are spending 1/3 of your life on it, so now is a good time to reintroduce yourself and see if its meeting your needs. Are you experiencing any of the following problems with your mattress?
- A valley has developed in the section of the mattress where you sleep
- Sagging across the middle third of the mattress or along the sides makes you roll toward your partner
- The mattress makes creaking noises
- Soft, non-supportive edges are a sign of edge breakdown
- You’re waking up sore or stiff in the morning
- You’ve developed recurring back pain
- Your current mattress is 7-10 or more years old
If you answered “yes” to one of more of the above, it’s probably time to shop for a new mattress. That may not sound like a whole lot of fun, but Serta can make it a little easier for you. Check out our interactive Mattress Selector, where you can answer a short set of questions and we’ll recommend some great Serta mattresses for you.
What are your best tips for improving sleep this spring? Email us at SertaFBHelp@gmail.com and we just may publish your tip on Facebook!