Sleep Through the Summer Heat
Do you find yourself occasionally tossing and turning at night because it’s just too hot? To keep your cool even on the warmest days of the year, try these helpful pointers:
- Keep your bedroom dark: To prevent heat build-up during the day, keep your blinds closed so the sun is not beaming into your bedroom. The more sunlight you have in your room, the hotter it will become.
- Lower the temperature: Air conditioning is ideal for those hot summer nights and can quickly cool your room down. If turning up the A/C is not an option, add a small fan to your bedroom or open your windows to create a cool breeze.
- Take a shower or bath: After being in the heat all day, the last thing you want to do is jump into bed feeling hot and sweaty. Before you go to sleep, take a refreshing shower to lower your body temperature.
- Wear light, comfortable clothes: Put away the heavy, flannel pajamas. Wear light, breathable clothing to prevent your clothes from sticking to you.
- Evaluate your mattress: Make sure you are sleeping on a comfortable mattress that is designed to dissipate heat and whisk it away from the body. For instance, Serta’s new iComfort Directions™ mattresses feature four exclusive technologies designed to balance comfort, support and temperature regulation.
For more advice on how to get a better night’s sleep – even during the hottest months of the year – check out the National Sleep Foundation’s article, “Sleeping When it is Blistering Hot” and share your personal tips in the comments below.