5 Tips to Spring Up Your Sleep
Spring is officially here! This is a great time of year because it’s full of so much promise of things to come. More hours of sunlight are inviting us to live a little more each and every day. Warmer air is hinting at the summertime ahead. We are slowly coming out of our “winter comas” and feeling more inspired to clean up and renew our lives.
Now, we all know how important a good night’s sleep is to our overall health and wellbeing. So, why not Spring Up Your Sleep this year, and treat yourself to more restful nights for more energetic days? Here are 5 helpful tips to help you renew your sleep this season:
- Zen Your Bedroom. Keeping your bedroom clean and clutter free will help reset your mind and body when you lay down at night. Take inventory of the items in the room and ask yourself what can be removed to create a more peaceful atmosphere. Have a television in your bedroom? Now is a good time to take a “test run” for one week without the tube in your boudoir and see if you sleep better. Plus, don’t forget to give the entire room a thorough Spring-cleaning, removing all dust build up from the winter.
- Mind the Sheets & Pillows. Your bed’s décor can help set a restful mood when you retreat to your bedroom at night. However, selecting the wrong sheets and pillows can also ruin a good night’s sleep. If it’s been a long time since you’ve upgraded your bedding, now is the time. Soft, breathable sheets and premium, supportive pillows can spruce up the appearance of your bed AND the quality of your sleep.
- Put Down the Wine. Well, at least within the hours before bedtime. Studies show that consuming alcohol in the hours before bedtime can negatively impact quality of sleep. While its affects may calm you and help you fall asleep, alcohol can also cause you to wake up more during the night. This will leave you feeling sleepy, and not to mention pretty cranky, the next day. So, save the wine for happy hour instead.
- Have a Heart-to-Heart with Fluffy. Pet parents often find themselves sharing their bed with their “fur babies”. It can be tough to turn down those puppy dog eyes, but sleep and pet experts alike will tell you this is one bad habit that you need to break. First, letting your pet sleep on your bed blurs the lines of bed “ownership”, and your four-legged friend can quickly become territorial. Second, you deserve more room to stretch while you sleep, and your pet doesn’t understand those boundaries. Why not make everyone happy and buy Fluffy his or her own Serta pet bed, while you sprawl out comfortably on yours?
- Pull Back the Covers and Say Hello….to your Mattress. When is the last time you thought about this big rectangular piece of furniture? You are spending 1/3 of your life on it, so now is a good time to reintroduce yourself and see if its meeting your needs. Are you experiencing any of the following problems with your mattress?
- A valley has developed in the section of the mattress where you sleep
- Sagging across the middle third of the mattress or along the sides makes you roll toward your partner
- The mattress makes creaking noises
- Soft, non-supportive edges are a sign of edge breakdown
- You’re waking up sore or stiff in the morning
- You’ve developed recurring back pain
- Your current mattress is 7-10 or more years old
If you answered “yes” to one of more of the above, it’s probably time to shop for a new mattress. That may not sound like a whole lot of fun, but Serta can make it a little easier for you. Check out our interactive Mattress Selector, where you can answer a short set of questions and we’ll recommend some great Serta mattresses for you.
What are your best tips for improving sleep this spring? Email us at SertaFBHelp@gmail.com and we just may publish your tip on Facebook!